A quick and easy breakfast doesn’t have to be boring or unhealthy. Make this oatmeal with nutritious pumpkin or butternut squash puree.
Tip: You can make your own butternut squash puree. Peel, trim and cut up butternut squash. Steam in a steamer basket or microwave. Drain in a colander and puree in a food processor until creamy.
Get the recipe for this hearty oatmeal.
Total Time: 13 Minutes
Preparation Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 3 Minutes
Recipe Serves: 2 people
- 1 cup nonfat (skim) milk
- 1/4 cup firmly packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup canned pumpkin or butternut squash puree
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- Dried fruit and nuts (optional)
- Pure maple syrup, for serving
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, sugar, pumpkin, vanilla, and spice.
- Bring to a gentle boil and stir in the oatmeal.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes, until the oatmeal is soft and creamy.
- Spoon the oatmeal into bowls, sprinkle with dried fruit and nuts, if you like, and serve
warm with maple syrup.
Editor's Note: This video_recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Breakfast and Brunch Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Nutrition is vital for maintaining your overall health. UPMC Nutrition Services offers comprehensive diet and nutrition counseling on a variety of topics, including eating disorders, weight management, and heart disease. Our team provides medical nutrition therapy for chronic conditions such as celiac disease, cancer, and diabetes. UPMC’s network of registered dietitians is available to help guide all patients towards a healthier life.
Nutrition is vital for maintaining your overall health, and UPMC Nutrition Services is one of the top nutrition programs in the country. Registered dietitians and dietetic technicians are available across our network to help you on the path to healthy eating and a healthier life. We offer comprehensive diet and nutrition counseling on a variety of topics, including eating disorders, weight management, and heart disease. Our team also provides medical nutrition therapy for chronic conditions such as celiac disease, cancer, and diabetes. Contact us to schedule an appointment with a dietitian near you.