Double up on your veggies with this delicious stuffed pepper rendition. We swapped meat and rice for vegetables and quinoa to stuff our bell peppers. TIP:Prep your quinoa in advance to save some time during the dinner rush!
Cooking time: 1 hour
Recipe serves: 6
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 6 small bell peppers, mixed colors, seeded and halved
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 small firm eggplant, trimmed of half the skin, chopped
- 1 small to medium firm zucchini, seeded and chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 fresh chile pepper, such as Fresno, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh mint leaves, a handful, chopped
- 2 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup crumbled feta or ricotta salata cheese
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
- Bring the quinoa and stock to a boil. Cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the grain looks translucent, 12 to 15 minutes. Then fluff with a fork. You will have about 4 cups of cooked grain.
- Drizzle the bell pepper halves with olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper. Roast cut-side down until the skins begin to char and the peppers are just tender, about 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and cool to room temp, then arrange in a baking dish cut-side up.
- Meanwhile, heat 3 tablespoons olive oil , 3 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, eggplant, zucchini, onions and chiles, and season with salt and pepper. Cook partially covered to tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Add the herbs and tomatoes, and combine with the quinoa.
- Fill the pepper halves with the quinoa and vegetable stuffing and drizzle with olive oil. Cool and chill for a make-ahead meal.
- To serve, roast in a 375 degree F oven until the peppers are hot through. Serve the pepper halves topped with cheese crumbles.
Vegetarian and Plant-Based Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 800 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.