Traditional baked cookies often include heavy ingredients that are high in fat and sugar.
Substitute your next dessert for these chewy truffle cookies, packed with nutritious ingredients like dates for natural sweetness. In our version, we topped the cookies with nuts, coconut flakes, and oats for a crunchy addition.
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Recipe serves: 6
- 1 cup dried pitted dates, 4 ounces, chopped
- 1 cup water
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave syrup
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat or no-stir natural chunky peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 full sheets whole-wheat graham crackers, finely ground, about 1 1/4 cups
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned rolled oats, not instant
- Cooking spray
- Combine the dates, water, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, breaking up any large pieces of dates with a spoon, until the mixture resembles a thick paste, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the honey, peanut butter, cocoa powder, butter, and salt until evenly combined.
- Stir in the graham crackers and oats. Remove from heat.
- Lightly mist a baking sheet with cooking spray. Drop level tablespoons of the cookie mixture onto the prepared pan. Refrigerate until just chilled and set, about 20 minutes.
- Put desired optional toppings in small bowls. Roll each cookie in the desired topping and flatten slightly into a plump disk. Cover and refrigerate until firm. Serve chilled.
Healthy Dessert Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 700 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.