Kids and adults alike will love these little pita bites, especially since they can be thrown together in no time at all. Enjoy it topped with a little bit of hummus, but don’t be afraid to try out your own combinations.
Get the recipe for baked pita bites with cheese, tomatoes, and cucumbers.
Recipe serves: 4
- 4 ounces fat-free, shredded mozzarella cheese (about 1 cup)
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced into quarter-inch rounds, salt-free
- 1 large cucumber, cut into quarter-inch pieces, peeled
- 1 green onion, chopped
- Preheat oven (regular or toaster oven) to 350 F.
- Cut the pita breads in half (so you have two rounds) and set aside.
- Shred the cheese and mix well with the garlic.
- Sprinkle the dried basil over the shredded cheese.
- Divide cheese evenly between the eight pita halves, 2 tablespoons per pita bread.
- Place pita breads with cheese on a flat pan, cookie sheet, or aluminum foil, and put in the oven for 5 minutes, until the cheese melts. You may wish to make these in batches to keep the cheese melted and the bread from getting hard.
- Remove from heat carefully, put on plates, and serve with sliced tomatoes, cucumbers, and green onions.
Calories (per serving): 223
Total Fat 1.8g, Sat. Fat 0.3g, Carbohydrates 39g, Sugars 4g, Fiber 6g, Cholesterol 5mg, Protein 16g, Sodium 536mg
Editor's Note: This recipe was originally published on , and was last reviewed on .
Quick and Easy Recipes
Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Headquartered in Pittsburgh, UPMC is a world-renowned health care provider and insurer. We operate 40 hospitals and 700 doctors’ offices and outpatient centers, with locations throughout Pennsylvania, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, and internationally. We employ 4,900 physicians, and we are leaders in clinical care, groundbreaking research, and treatment breakthroughs. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks UPMC Presbyterian Shadyside as one of the nation’s best hospitals in many specialties and ranks UPMC Children’s Hospital of Pittsburgh on its Honor Roll of America’s Best Children’s Hospitals. We are dedicated to providing Life Changing Medicine to our communities.