Never Miss a Beat!
Subscribe to Our HealthBeat Newsletter!
Get Healthy Tips Sent to Your Phone!
Avoiding the Cold
- Wash your hands with soap regularly.
- Stay away from sick individuals if possible. If you work in a health facility or must care for a sick person, wash your hands after each patient contact.
- Avoid touching the nose, mouth, and eyes.
- Disinfect commonly-used objects in your household and workplace, such as telephones, stair railings, countertops, toys, and doorknobs to prevent the spread of infection. Avoid sharing utensils or drinking glasses with someone who has a cold.
Combating the Cold
- Sleep as much as possible. Take time off from school or work if necessary.
- Drink plenty of fluids, especially hot liquids like hot tea and soup. Hot liquids can help relieve nasal congestion, prevent dehydration, and soothe your nose and throat.
- Avoid smoking and cut down alcohol consumption. Smoking irritates your airways and increases your chance of infection. Alcohol leaves you dehydrated and worsens symptoms.
- Do aerobic exercise regularly to strengthen the body and immune system.
- Over-the-counter medications like cough drops and pain relievers may help relieve cold symptoms, but there is no cure for the common cold.
- Protect others! Cover your nose and mouth when sneezing or coughing and properly dispose of any used tissues immediately,
About Urgent Care
Sometimes you need care right away, with no time to wait for an appointment. That’s where UPMC Urgent Care comes in. We offer prompt treatment for illnesses and injuries seven days a week, with no appointment necessary. With locations throughout Pennsylvania and Maryland, you can find immediate care close to you – even if your doctor’s office is closed. Our services include treatment for minor injuries and illnesses, physicals, prescription filling, and flu shots and immunizations. Wait times for minor injuries and illnesses are usually shorter than the Emergency Department, and we accept most major insurance. Visit our website to find a location close to you.